- 10 c. gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 heaping c. expeller-pressed coconut oil (expeller-pressed because it’s tastes minimally or not at all like coconut)
- 1 generous c. full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 ½ c. Grade B maple syrup
- 3 T. cinnamon
- ½ T. ground nutmeg
- 1 T. vanilla
- ½-1 t. salt (Note: Adjust the salt amounts to your personal taste.)
- 2-3 c. fruit or nuts, if desired
Liquify coconut oil, just enough to melt. In a large bowl, gently, but thoroughly, coat oats in the coconut oil. Then, add the yogurt and repeat thorough mixing. Cover well and let stand at room temperature for 24-30 hrs.
The next day, mix maple syrup, spices and salt in a small saucepan. Warm over very low heat until blended. Let cool.
Add maple-spice mixture to the oat mixture. (This i s where you can also add the fruit or nuts of your choice!)
Spread the mixture out on dehydrating tray (or parchment-lined baking sheet) and gently press. Keep the layer even and about ½ in. thick.
Set dehydrator at 110 degrees for 24 hrs. For oven, set at lowest temperature, approximately 6 hrs.
Let cool. Break into smaller pieces and put into storage jar.