- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds red peppers, grilled for 6 minutes while turning regularly to evenly grill. After grilling, do not peel. Remove stems and seeds and dice medium.
- 1 onion (12 ounces), peeled and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves (1 ounce), peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili in adobo sauce (available in small cans)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 celery rib, cut in two pieces
- 1 quart unsalted chicken stock
- Italian Sausage and Green Pepper Garnish (Below)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces bulk pork Italian sausage, divided into 8 (1 ounce) portions, each portion divided into 4 marble-size balls
- 1 (8 ounce) green pepper, cut in half stem to bottom, stem, core and seeds removed, and flesh cut into 1-inch long julienne
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
Place the oil in a pot and sweat the grilled peppers, onions, garlic, spices and herbs for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, celery and stock ad bring up to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Purée the soup, then strain through a medium strainer. Reserve warm.
Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the small sausage balls and brown on all sides for about 3 to 4 minutes until cooked through. Remove from the pan to a plate. Add 1 additional tablespoon of olive oil if there isn't enough oil in the pan, then add green peppers. Season lightly with salt and pepper and sauté for about 2 minutes until crisp-tender. Add the garlic, sauté for 15 seconds and remove from pan. Divide the garnish between 8 bowls (4 small sausage balls per bowl) in the middle of the bowl. Pour the soup around and serve.